6.17.2007

Bonnaroo 2 :: It started recreational, ended kinda medical

So yesterday (Saturday I think it was?) was full of amazing shows. The ever-adorable Regina Spektor came out to a huge audience and had the tenacity to start off with an a capella number, then play four or five songs with just her and the piano. And she had everyone eating out of the palm of her hand. She seemed sincerely delighted to be there and after every song would laugh out loud as we applauded, apparently as amused with us as we were with her.

Then there was The Hold Steady. I'm not the biggest HS fan, but after seeing this show, I'm going to have to go back and revisit their records. The energy was ridiculous, and fists pumped vigorously. Craig Finn even said something like, 'I'll take fist pumping over that hippie dance any day.' It's called noodling, Craig, and yes, fist pumping is way better.

While they may have not been as out-and-out fun as The Hold Steady, Spoon rocked just as hard, and let's face it, they're something of a more cerebral, less fist pumping experience anyway. Britt Daniel cemented his place in my mind as one of the best frontmen around today. With his unique voice and terrific stage presence, you just can't take your eyes off him. Oh, and he plays a mean guitar too.

Later on last night, I was treated to the absolute most fun available on the planet. Girl Talk. (Pictured above.) I couldn't believe the amount of kids who came to the Girl Talk tent, but boy, they came to dance. Greg Gillis had a whole slew of kids that he brought on stage with him, complete with confetti, streamers, and such. I still can't get over how much fun it was.

Oh yeah, and I saw The Police. Meh.

No comments: